Tuesday 10 July 2012

Goldilocks and the 20-Metre Line


Once upon a time there was a little girl called Goldilocks... well we all know how that story ends. Lets try a different story. Once upon a time there was a little boy called... lets call him, the boy with the golden locks. (If you have ever seen a photo of this young boy you will know he too has hair the colour of gold, but the similarities between these two characters ends there). The boy with the golden locks had a problem that needed solving..... he was intent on kicking a goal from the 20m line. To this task he brought a list of requirements; determination, resilience, the right equipment, the right knowledge and patience for skill building. 

The Goldilocks story serves to illustrate the way I have dealt with some of my photographic problems in the past. (kat eye studio). My immediate reaction to facing photographic problems is to run from and avoid them. I choose not to solve them, rather I change my focus to things that I can already do, my safety net. This theory has merits but it also has limitations, it is restrictive and conforms creativity.

I have a life long love of learning, hence my enrolment in this course. I feel excited when I have achieved a new height of awakening. That is the satisfaction of solving problems, it conquers and teaches. When faced with challenges I tell my own children and the children I teach, "not to give up" and  to "have a go", that is my philosophy. I like to think of myself as a participator in life not a watcher. To grab, cherish and savour. To be a participant, one needs to solve problems.

Goldilocks never stopped to solve her problems, she fled from each broken chair as quickly as she sat in it, leading her ultimately to disappointment. The boy with the golden locks, on the other hand tackled his problem of kicking a goal form the 20m goal line with a different approach. He has not yet solved his problem, and he is experiencing levels of disappointment along the way but he is determined "not to give up" to keep "having a go". Going forward I will heed my own advice and adopt the attitude of the boy with the golden locks. I will  tackle my photographic problems, one at a time (creative and technical) with determination, resilience, the right equipment, the right knowledge and patience for skill building. My first goal will be to read my camera manual (had the camera 6 months) followed by some photo editing skill building.

While the golden haired boy was kicking for goal from the 20m line with his father, the mother of the child spent time taking these photographs of the empty grandstand as it watched on and cheered him in silent encouragement.




kat eye view


13 comments:

  1. You are clever with words, Maxipix. I love your eye for detail and ability to see beauty in the ordinary sights and imagined sounds of the world around you. I love the way you describe your problems and the way you show us how you find solutions be observing what is around you. Thank you for telling your story in this way.
    EMHarwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story! You do have a way with words along with photos. Reading your camera manual is a great way to learn and solve some of those technical problems. And guess what - if you read it again a year from now you will learn NEW things, because with more time and experience under your belt, the information will be useful to you in new and different ways. It's all worth the time and effort. I'm glad you've started on this path to learn more. Your images are beautiful now, imagine what they will be like after you have more knowledge of your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful use of allegory, Maxine! It really gets your message across. I also love your photos. They are beautifully composed and have wonderful tones and selective focus. It's so true what Kat says about the camera manual. I got my D90 almost three years ago and only now am I starting to really understand some of what it can do. I found that watching online videos has helped me learn the camera even more than reading, and having someone show you in person is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to put my name on that last comment, Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your shots! i can almost se you wandering around and taking shots! and i love your story. it seems like a great idea at first, sticking with what you already know and have mastered, but somehow it always feels like a copout doesn't it...:-() thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm having that Goldilocks moment too!!!! It's amazing how often we 'sync'! Beautifully put as usual my friend and I have no doubt the 'Golden Boy' will be a 20m line success just as his mother will go on to challenge her fears and conquer the yet to know!
    PS the metal stud looks like an eye... perhaps it's watching over you as you progress to the next level xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing these great words and greater photo's I like them very much, they are so special with the old wood and rust signs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing these great words and greater photo's I like them very much, they are so special with the old wood and rust signs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Max
    You have taken your photography to a whole new level! Your shots are inspiring and I love the story that goes with each one. It is amazing to see you capture every day items and give it a voice. So inspired. Blog looks amazing.
    Ab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely can tell a story as well as take pictures! I love the tones in these images and how you brought us from the wider view of the stands, in to the beautifully captured detail.

    I've learned to read my manual as well, now mostly when a question pops up. I like things simple and don't use many of the extra "gadgets" but every now and then I learn of a gem that works for me when I'm in the Manual for something else! / PatB

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful shots of the grandstand, & great message inspired by that golden haired boy-I have one who doesn't give up either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shots of the grandstand - fantastic details
    Beautiful story too

    ReplyDelete