Saturday 8 October 2011

2110 Hunters Hill and Woolwich


Today a visit to postcode 2110, Sydney's Hunters Hill and Woolwich. 2110 is the 5th postcode I have photographed in the 'My Sydney' project. As I visit each suburb I feel an affiliation with each, it is as though I am getting to know a new set of friends. Each suburb I photograph and research I become acquainted with and grow a fondness towards. I clicked with postcode 2110. Hunters Hill and Woolwich had a peace I could get very used to, it was warm and relaxed. The shop owners and residents are very proud and fiercely protective of their heritage and location. Being school holidays there was an myriad of children enjoying the surrounds they are blessed to explore. Today I was accompanied by my friend Arpana who is also completing the Sydney Suburb challenge ( visit her blog at 26).

Hunters Hill and Woolwich are the scene of a quiet tranquil village. Quaint coffee shops and stores, manicured private gardens, picket fences, original and restored sandstone cottages and public buildings, adorn the area. Interested in what we were doing and obviously proud of his work, one builder on site asked if we were here to photograph 'the sandstone'. Disappointed we were not photographing his handiwork he wished us a happy day.

Former Garibaldi Hotel built in 1862 by Italian John Cuneo



pick or pay for your flowers
#1 what's your number?
#2 what's your number?

Shades of Pale
 picket fences
beware of the dog
beware of the children who delight in thieving mulberries



a water front home

The peninsular of Hunters Hill and Woolwich is flanked by the Lane Cove river on the North and the Parramatta River on the South. The municipality of Hunters Hill celebrates it's Sesquicentenary this year. During my research I was delighted to come across the most gorgeous footage of the Hunters Hill Centenary Parade in 1961, at  huntershill150.

Parramatta River side

 views of The Gladesville Bridge

Lane Cove River side
Northumberland Street Steps going down to The Woolwich Baths


3 comments:

  1. Now ur on my turf...I have wk'd in HH since 1992. I wk'd across fm the Garabaldi building for 15 years!!! I recognise the homewares and the shops you photographed. It is such a wondeful area, and what you say is v v true. So picturesque, but the folk are fiercely protective and proud of their turf.....esp with their 150 anniversary coming up in a matter of months. ooxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great photos! Love those flowers & the pale outdoor furniture. And i like those mulberry pickers. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your HH post last thing on Sunday night before I turned the light out and thought I'd wait to comment with a fresh mind! I love that we can be in the same place at the same time and spot different things or interpret them in different ways. The Goddess of Wine close-ups are fabulous, love 'em! Well spotted with the telephone directory... where was that? Your white picket fence is so clever and that has to be the best 'beware of the dog' sign I've seen. Also love the boat ring with the brick wall and the other blue boat peeking through from the back. Great job Max, can't wait for the next suburb! :) :)

    ReplyDelete